2.10.2010

Valentine's Day Award Ribbons! (plus tutorial!)

So this is the first year I've really been into Valentine's Day, and I had a cute idea for valentines: award ribbons! And since I'm sharing them, I figured I should give a little tutorial, too! It's my first one, so here you go!

This is what I made(:
Final Product!

Supplies:

Papers.

~An assortment of scrapbook papers in pink, red, and white
~scissors
~pen (I used the superfine in this pack)
~a glue stick or adhesive like this
~optional: heart stickers, rhinestones, glitter, ribbon or yarn scraps, etc.

Step One:
Cut out your pieces!

All the pieces.

You'll need a circle (mine was about 1 3/4 inches across), a slightly larger circle with scalloped edges (mine was about 2 3/4 inches across), and three rectangles, two of equal size and one a little shorter and wider (I had one that was about 1 1/4 inches by 4 1/2 inches and two about 1 1/2 by 4).
You can make these any size, of course, but make sure everything is proportional to the others! It may help to make a mock up of your ribbon out of plain card stock before cutting into your nice paper.
You also need to trim the ends of your rectangle as you would trim real ribbon (at a diagonal, or to little points).

Step Two:
Choose a message for your Valentine!

Write your message.

You can go with the normal things, like a simple "Happy Valentine's Day" or "I love you", or get creative with the award ribbon theme and write something like "#1 Boyfriend" or "Most Loved".
Write your chosen phrase in the small circle.

Step Three:
Put it together!

Large ribbon.

Use glue or double sided tape to adhere the large rectangle to the back of the scalloped circle.

Smaller ribbons added.

Then adhere the two smaller rectangles evenly on top.
Then flip it over and adhere the smaller circle to the center of the scalloped one.

Optional:
Decorate it! I left mine fairly simple, because of the rose paper, but if you can add whatever you want! Rhinestones, ribbon, stickers, glitter, anything! I'm going to make a few more with solid colored paper and add some punched out hearts in contrasting colors (as soon as I find my punch).

And there you go!

Final Product!

I hope you liked it! I had a lot of fun making it and writing the tutorial. If you make any, make sure to send me a link! I'd love to see what everyone comes up with.

I'll be back later/tomorrow with a little list of my favorite romance movies!

blog signature

3 comments:

kaleidoscopeexplosion said...

That is so cute! I'm going to make one for my boyfriend right now xoxo

...on the brink of something beautiful said...

hiiii, i found your blog on the red velvet flickr page and saw that we are style school buddies, so i thought id check out your blog!!
its super cute and i love this ribbon, its adorable!!!!!!
-kellie

Jolie said...

These are so cute! Great idea!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...