7.31.2011

What I'm reading: 7.31.11


I haven't done one of these posts in forever, but I have been reading, of course, so I thought I'd give you guys another little peek into my Kindle as of late.

I seem to have been really into two things lately: Harry Potter and books about food. In fact, while I was sitting in line for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, I bought a book on my Kindle (that 3G connection is a lifesaver, though not so great for my mom's bank account!) that was about a guy going to culinary school! It was a good book, and I finished yesterday. So here's where we currently stand:

Back on the shelf:

Beaten, Seared, and Sauced: On Becoming a Chef and the Culinary Institute of America, by Jonathan Dixon
This is an account of a writer's time at the Culinary Institute of America (the CIA), which he decided to attend in his 40s. It was an interesting read, simply because of how intrigued I am by the way chefs think and act and how much detail Dixon goes into about the inner workings of the CIA (that sounds a lot more mysterious than it should). The only times I didn't like it where the few occasions that I found myself annoyed by Dixon, not his in writing, but in the actions or thoughts he was recounting. Overall, a very good book, though.
Amazon Link

Currently reading:

1. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, by JK Rowling
Obviously, this is a reread, one of very many. I've been through this book over and over. Once upon a time, it was my favorite of the series! (Oh, how times have changed.) But here I am again, trudging through it (it's just not as interesting as the later ones!). I haven't opened it in a couple weeks because I've found myself stuck. Oh well. The gloriousness of Prisoner of Azkaban lies just ahead, which is quite enough motivation for me.
Amazon Link

2. Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise, by Ruth Reichl
This one is especially great because it is a non-fiction book that involves food but kind of reads like a novel. Reichl is a food critic who moves from LA to NYC and realizes that, as a critic, she is treated like a queen at every upscale restaurant she visits. Wanting to make an impartial decision in her critiques, she constructs multiple, quite elaborate disguises over the course of the book to fool restaurant staffs. I really like this one so far. It's funny and interesting, with Reichl's real reviews and recipes scattered throughout.
Amazon Link

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...