8.30.2011

The Creative Setup: Ryan


1. Who are you, and what do you do?
My name is Ryan Munthe and I’m a full time student at the University of North Texas where I study English. And in my off time, I work part-time in Home Theater at Best Buy (although probably not for long). I also write a tech/music blog that I update sporadically entitled blackHoles&Hurricanes (although probably not a tech/music blog for very long).

Despite the fact that none of my occupations require high-tech gear, I have lots of time and energy invested in technology. I’ve been obsessed with technology and upgrading ever since I received my T-Mobile Razr for Christmas when I was 12. I used to design graphics for people on an online forum (can’t remember the name) and graphics for my high school newspaper.

2. What hardware are you using?
Well, my computer is a late 2009 MacBook (Whitebook). It’s a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM laptop that I received for Christmas instead of the Pro because at the time, there was very little difference between the Whitebook and the Pro. And while I use my MacBook all the time and take it to class to get work done, my MacBook is forced to split time with my HTC Inspire 4G.

The Inspire is pretty much a miniature computer, and while I love Apple, I love the customizability of my Android, especially because I have my Inspire rooted and running completely stock Android. I feel like I’m too addicted to my smartphone and want to break my dependence on it, but, hey, whatever, it’s a pretty badass piece of machinery. The Inspire has taught me a lot about programming, and I have this phone running super fast. The combination of my Mac and my Inspire is ace. But I also have an old Gateway Windows 7 laptop that’s falling apart I occasionally hook up to my 42” Toshiba 240hz LCD. Which I received free, and is a pretty incredible TV.

I also have an iPod that I use for music on the move and to have most of my music library in the car. It’s a 32GB iPod Touch 4th Generation that I jailbroke. I like having the App Store, but I don’t really use it for anything other than music. I’m holding out on the iPad and tablets; I think they’re a gimmick.

3. What software?
I’ve ran Firefox since it was in Beta on my old vprMatrix (yeah, look that s*** up). But ever since the latest version I’ve been incredibly disappointed with the bloat that comes with it. It slowed my Whitebook down to a crawl. And since I don’t like Chrome because it archives your information and it is constantly expanding, I stick with Safari. It suits my needs. On my Inspire, I run Opera Mobile HD. I like the “Opera Turbo” speed boost. Combined with AT&T 4G, I get fairly fast speeds on the net.

I use Dropbox to help feed my addiction to flashing new ROMs for my phone, and run Clockwork Recovery on my phone to flash these ROMs.

On my Mac, I use Photoshop CS5 to make graphics, but I don’t really have any reason to actually use Photoshop. Every now and then I use it for class, but I haven’t used Photoshop for actual reasons since I was about 15. I use Word for all my school stuff, oldie but a goodie. I also run No Limits, a rollercoaster simulator to feed my awkward and unusual addiction to building rollercoasters. And, of course, VLC to play movies downloaded…uh…legally…via uTorrent.

What would be your dream setup?
A MacBook Pro in the size of the MacBook Air 11.6” and a CD drive would be incredibly ideal that would sync with a Mac Mini hooked up to a huge Panasonic Plasma TV at home. Throw in a phone with the power and customizability of Android with the polished appearance of iOS, and my technology needs would be set. I’d love to have my music library stream seamlessly in my car.

Oh, and, yeah, of course, interactive touchscreen electronics like in Halo. But now I’m dreaming.

~*~*~*~
This is a feature in which I invite bloggers and other creative people to share what technology they use to get their jobs done. These interviews are unedited, except for adding links to product pages in some cases. Photos are property of interviewees.

I am always looking for more people to interview! If you would like to participate, please email me at emdismukes[at]yahoo[dot]com. I hope to hear from you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...