11.18.2011

The Creative Writer's Setup: Ellen



1. Who are you, and what do you write?
I'm a 27 year old wannabe novelist living in Dublin, Ireland. I write urban fantasy and occasional historical fiction, and I have high hopes of branching out into YA and travel at some point. So the short answer is that I write whatever takes my fancy!

2. What hardware are you using?
I use an Asus netbook - it's portable, which is great for writing during lunchbreaks at work, or in friends' houses, and the battery life is over six hours (it would be higher if I followed any of those battery-life-optimisation tips!). I have been known to use my old iBook, which is still a great machine even though it's quite slow.

3. And what software?
On my netbook, I use OpenOffice, a free word processing program from Sun Microsystems. On the iBook, I use NeoOffice, which is the Mac-friendly equivalent.

I also love Dropbox, which is a free online storage service. You can upload files via the web or by installing a folder on your computer. The best thing is that if I'm working on my novel on my netbook, for instance, and the novel file is in my Dropbox folder, it will automatically update it, so when I switch on my iBook, I can instantly
access the most up-to-date version. No more emailing files to myself! It's fantastic.

4. What would be your dream setup?
My desk is currently buried under several large piles of clutter and junk, so my dream setup is very simple - I'd like to have enough free time to clear out my junk and uncover my desk! Every year I promise myself that I'll do it over the Christmas holidays and yet it never seems to happen!

~*~*~*~
This is a special version of a popular feature in which I invite writers and fellow NaNoWriMo participants to share what technology they use to get their jobs done. These interviews are unedited. Photos are property of interviewees.

All the interviews can be found here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...