11.04.2011

The Creative Writer's Setup: Emily



1. Who are you, and what do you write?

Yay! Introductions! My name is Emily Grace Lamontagne, but I can be found on the almighty God that is the internet under a few different names, including Isaiah Moretti and Cassandra Stone. I'm a funny, bubbly, passionate, self-proclaimed smart girl and anybody who knows me (or at the very least has seen me chatting online somewhere) can tell you that I have what can only be considered an unholy obsession with tea.

What do I write? Well, the easy answer is whatever I darn well feel like. Ranging from fanfiction that will never see the light of day to my magnum opus, seven book, one million word project that I've been working on since I was thirteen, I write about pretty much everything and anything.

The actual answer, however, is fiction. Specifically, realistic paranormal / supernatural fiction. My goal with my writing is to make people believe that they could meet a vampire on the subway, or a zombie as they're crossing the street. I'm a fan of multi-genre stories, so I try not to give my stories any specific genre definitions until I'm submitting them to various places both on- and off-line. Since I began writing seriously when I was thirteen (approximately six and a half years ago) I have completed six novels, two hundred and fifty short stories, approximately eighty or so poems, and approximately one thousand flash fiction stories.

Nifty, huh? And really not all that impressive, if you take into account the fact that nothing that I've written has ever (as of yet) been interesting enough to be published ANYWHERE. I won't give up, though. The rejection letters and notices are eventually going to be wallpaper in my Writing Room and if I want to have enough to make it look pretty, I'm going to need more rejection notices, which means I need to submit more, more, MORE!

2. What hardware are you using?

Nine times out of ten, I am using my laptop computer, which is an HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC.

.5 times out of ten, I'm using a good old-fashioned pen and a notebook. (Usually when I've forgotten to bring my laptop to work and I want to jot down some story ideas on my break.)

The other .5 times out of ten, I'm working on my typewriter. I got my hands on a vintage typewriter, cleaned it up, got some new ribbon for it, and when I'm working on my artsy things and I want something that's got a more rustic look to it than a computer print-out, I pull out my typewriter and type up whatever I want to frame / glue onto something / turn into a personalized story book.

3. And what software?

For my magnum opus series, I use Liquid Story Binder, which is available from Black Obelisk Software. I downloaded the month-long free trial for National Novel Writing Month a few years back, and I've been hooked ever since. It's so convenient for plotting, planning, outlining, and everything in between. I can even make playlists for my various projects!

For everything fictional not related to my magnum opus series, I work with Microsoft Word. My poetry generally gets shoved into a Windows Notepad file and forgotten about for upwards of a few years before I yank it out and remember that I'm not actually a terrible poet.

4. What would be your dream setup?

A room with Rejection Letter wallpaper, bookshelves for all of my hard-copy resource texts and favourite stories, a kitchenette so I can always have tea, milk, and honey at my fingertips, and an HP Touchsmart computer with an ergonomic keyboard / mouse set and pre-loaded, Deluxe Version of the Liquid Story Binder.

~*~*~*~
This is a special version of a popular feature in which I invite writers and fellow NaNoWriMo participants to share what technology they use to get their jobs done. These interviews are unedited. Photos are property of interviewees.

All the interviews can be found here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...