6.29.2012

Watercolor Background Technique: An Art Journal Tutorial



So, a few weeks ago, I was surfing Pinterest (what else is new?) and came across this tutorial for making a fun background. I love painting backgrounds for my art journal, and this one looked like a lot of fun, but I didn't have all the supplies it called for. So I set out to duplicate the look using what I had on hand. I loved the result, and it was pretty simple, so I thought I would share it with all of you!

Here's what you need: your art journal, a watercolor set, a water-brush, and an acrylic block

First, squeeze a few drops of water out of the brush onto the surface of the acrylic block. Then load up your brush with some color and spread that around. Add as much color as you like...

...and then turn the block over on to your page and squish it around! It's a little unpredictable, so play around with different kinds of movements.

Repeat...and repeat...

When you're satisfied with the background, let it dry and then build your page on top of it! Here, I added some gesso to make a space for the title, doodled a frame around the page, and then stamped the little arrows I'm loving so much right now. (And yes, this is a different page than the one shown in this tutorial...I didn't like the way that one was turning out!)

And that's it! Let me know if you use this technique, I'd love to see some other takes on it!

xoxo
Emily

3 comments:

katiebug92 said...

I think I need to try this technique!

Jada said...

love the color choices! looks great :)

Anonymous said...

I love this technique. Colors are beautiful. Thanks so much!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...