7.12.2012

More "In The Sun" 2012 Art Journal Pages

Ah, the joys of having a nice clean space to create in! My boyfriend inherited a family-size kitchen table for his two-bedroom apartment, meaning that I have a load of space to work on during the day! Perhaps the excitement of having all that space is what gave me a little creative boost this week... I finished three more of the In The Sun prompts in two days, which is way more than I'm usually able to create!

By the time this post goes up (I'm typing this on Tuesday evening), I hope to be done with a few more pages, but I thought I would share these for now!

This first page was created for the Best Summer Ever prompt. I took inspiration from Natalie's pretty background and tried to recreate it with watercolors:



I love how it worked out. In real life, it almost looks shiny or something. Then I collaged a bit on top of that. You'll notice that I failed to follow the instructions to hid my little goals! I didn't want to risk forgetting any of them!

Materials: watercolors, security envelope, washi tape, doily, stamps from American Crafts and Pebbles, VersaMark ink, white gel pen, Urban Outfitters catalog

The next page was done for the Summer Is... prompt. Instead of writing my own definition, I chose to use the prompt as a sentence starter and journal about how I feel about summer.

Materials: watercolors, washi tape, white gel pen, Urban Outfitters catalog



I love Natalie's scallop-y doodles, so I decided to try my own on this page. I love it! You'll also notice in the first photo that I drew another one of those little arrows, like on the Best Summer Ever page. I'm loving arrows of all sorts this summer, so expect those to pop up often!

And the final page I have for you today is for the Summer Motif prompt. This is a simple page. I did very little collaging here; it's really just a photo and some washi tape. It started out as a much more complex page, but it just wasn't going right, so I scrapped it and started over! I tried to follow the basic design of Natalie's page, and I really like how it turned out.

Materials: watercolors, stamps from Pebbles and Studio G, VersaFine ink, white gel pen, washi tape, Urban Outfitters catalog



Because the constant in my summer that I chose to journal about was "being barefoot", I wanted to highlight that in the image I chose (and wow, was it hard to find a barefoot person in a clothing catalog). I took a hexagon stencil I made awhile back and traced around it with a white gel pen to create a little frame around the model's feet. It's still subtle, but I love that little detail.

Well, that's it for today! I hope to be back soon with more. I'm planning on sharing more in-depth, step-by-step views of a few of these pages, and I have some awesome guest posts lined up for the next two weeks, so stick around!

xoxo
Emily

3 comments:

scrappymo! said...

Wow, you got lots of pages done. Looks good and I like your lists.

Fawn said...

Beautiful work! I love the effect from the watercolors.

Teddi said...

i like how you describe your process! it's fun to see your pages. i live in texas too, & i'm barefoot year round. just saying. ;)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...