11.26.2012

So, I'm officially done with NaNoWriMo 2012.

There are a lot of things factoring into my decision (which I have officially made late last night). Some of those things are:

  • At this point, I would have to write 5k+ per day to make it to the finish line. I just won’t have the time to do that, with my schedule this week.
  • How is my schedule this week, you ask? Well, for starters, tomorrow I have class/homework time from 10 AM to 6 PM. The rest of the week, I only have class from 10/11 AM to 2 PM, but…
  • In addition to class, I also must begin studying/preparing for my final exams, which begin on December 10 (2 weeks from tomorrow). If I were to wait until December 1 to begin exam prep, I would not do well on my exams.
  • And to justify that last reason further, exam prep that I must do this week includes the following: work on a PoliSci group project/paper; complete all the History quizzes that I have blown off so far; and complete my Creative Writing portfolio
  • That’s on top of regular homework (mostly Italian) and reading And the week after that, I have to actually study for History, as well as Italian, and American Literature (and in the case of AmLit, “studying” means “finally doing all the reading I have been skipping to write/goof off for the last month”)
So you see. This next week is just a horrible week for me, and I can’t put off those tasks or the next week will be twice as horrible. And this next week will be twice as horrible if I try to add in a minimum of 5,000 words to write each day. I just can’t do it. I won’t have the actual time.

I have a few non-time/schedule-related reasons for ending this project now, too. A few of those are:

  • My heart has not been in it lately. I love my story and my characters and I do plan to keep writing it and them, but right now, I’m just not feeling inspired. I’ve had plenty of writing time in the last few days, but I haven’t been able to actually write. And I hate forcing it. (I know that’s sort of the point of NaNo, yeah. But it’s not fun, and that’s the other point of NaNo.)
  • As much as I love my story, I’ve grown tired of writing in a serious genre for the moment. It’s hard to do for so long! I’m a very light-hearted person, you know. :D
  • I have been neglecting other creative areas of my life and I’ve been feeling a great need to get back to them. I have not scrapbooked or made a card in at least two months now, and I haven’t been able to do paper crafts at all in November (or rarely, at least) because I start feeling bad that I’m not writing. I don’t like that feeling and I don’t think it’s fair to myself or my creativity to suppress one inspiration in favor of another.
So, there you go. Reasons. Not that I really need to justify this to anyone, but it felt nice to write that all out for myself. Thanks for reading my rambling midnight thoughts (I wrote this last night and posted it to another social network I use for different purposes than this blog).

In case you were wondering, I did make it halfway to the word count goal: I hit 25,000 (and a little bit extra). I finished about 1/4 of the story. I also feel that this year's 25k is a lot higher quality than last year's 50k, and I'm very happy with myself for that. Overall, I'm proud of what I finished, and that's really what matters here! 25k is a lot of words that I wouldn't have written otherwise. And I know that I won't win every year; this just wasn't my year! But here's to NaNo2013, which I'm sure will be as different from NaNo2012 as NaNo2012 was from NaNo2011. See you next year!

xoxo
Emily

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...