2.09.2013

Scrapbook Stash-busting Tip: Emboss it!

If you follow me on Instagram, you'll know that a few days ago I pulled out a bunch of chipboard pieces I had in my stash and was trying to figure out what to do with them. I got them in a grab-bag sort of thing and the colors just don't really go with anything I use. But I do like chipboard for adding dimension to projects, and some of the shapes did seem like pieces I could possibly use. So I set out to alter them!

Now, thanks to fellow scrapbooker Ashley Calder (of things that shine), I've become a bit obsessed with using metallic gold in paper crafting. Thankfully, I happened to have a brand new jar of gold embossing powder on my desk! So here's how I solved my chipboard problem:



I simply pressed the shape face-down into my VersaMark ink pad, covered it in gold embossing powder, and set it with my heat gun. It was fairly easy, and the pieces came out looking awesome and infinitely more usable. I can't wait to use them on pages!

I thought I would share some hints that might help you complete this little project more easily.
  • Don't worry if some of the original color shows through before you melt the powder. Once set, the embossing powder covers the original design perfectly.
  • Use tweezers or another metal tool to hold your chipboard piece while you heat it, so you don't accidentally burn your fingers. Fingertips are sensitive!
  • If the finish is a little lumpy or you accidentally nick it before it's dry, just carefully heat the problem spots a bit more, until they smooth out.
  • If spots around the edges of the shape end up not fully covered, just add a little more embossing ink and powder, and melt it again in those spots.
  • Don't do this in front of your computer! After I put my supplies away, I realized that I had inadvertently blown a fine layer of powder across my keyboard. It took awhile to clean up and I hope it doesn't cause any problems in the future!

Let me know if you have success with this tip! I'd love to see projects with your altered chipboard!

xoxo
Emily

PS. I switched to Disqus for commenting! It's brand new to me, so let me know if there are any problems!

4 comments:

Katie Smith said...

Wow, what a cool technique!!

Fawn said...

Thanks for sharing that great technique. I need to get out my stash of chipboard and make some new things.

EmilyMae said...

No problem! You should! I can't wait to use my "new" pieces!

EmilyMae said...

Thanks! It's so easy, too. I bet you could do something awesome with it!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...