5.22.2013

Hello, again.

This photo is perhaps one of my favorites of myself, taken with Minnie Mouse at Disney World back in January.

Awhile back, Kara Haupt posted a wonderful, interesting introduction to her life and invited her readers to do the same. I figured, why not? I do have an About page that can give new readers a little knowledge about me, but I was inspired by the answers Kara shared and I'd like to do the same. Here goes!

How’d you get to where you are? I grew up in a suburb of Houston, Texas and graduated from my public high school in 2011. I was accepted into the University of North Texas in Denton, a suburb of Dallas. I moved up here in the fall of 2011 and have been living on campus ever since! (Except, of course, the summers and winter holidays.) When I moved into my dorm, I had no one but my boyfriend, Ryan, who had already been attending UNT for a year, and my met-her-once-but-mostly-just-talked-on-Facebook roommate, Cassidy. I'm now happy to be a part of a large group of wonderful people, but Ryan and Cassidy are still my favorites.

What’s your school thing like? I'm an English major with a concentration in creative writing. It took me a long time to decide on that, and there are still days that I wonder if I should have chosen something else, like art/graphic design or primary education. But at long last, I decided that reading and writing are two of my truest loves, and so far I have remained wonderfully happy with my choice. Like I said, I go to UNT and I live on campus, which means I have made so many awesome friends who are often no more than one floor away from me. I have at least one more year here in the dorm, but I'm fine with that - dorm life seems to suit me. Of course, I would love to move into an apartment eventually, and Cassidy and I are tentatively planning on getting one together for our senior year. Themed parties, here we come!

What’s the deal with your personal life? When I signed up for a dorm room here at UNT, I went through a little dating-website-style "roommate matcher". Cassidy was one of the people who came up in my results, and I am so glad she did. We met for the first time in real life at orientation, and I have come to consider her one of my best friends. She is an amazing person and I'm so glad she is in my life. I have a number of other great friends in the dorm, and I don't think I have ever felt as connected with other people as I have since I've lived here. And of course, there is my boyfriend, Ryan. He's my very best friend. I've known him since my sophomore year of high school and even though we've been through a few tough times, I cannot imagine not having him in my life.

How do I pay the bills? I am lucky enough to be here at UNT on a full scholarship, one that covers all of my classes and housing and comes with a bit of a stipend for other things (necessities or not). I worked my butt off in high school to earn the title of National Merit Scholar and I thank everyone who helped me achieve that every single day of my life. I would not be here if not for that scholarship. But that only pays the bills during the school year. Right now, I'm living on campus and working for the university's housing department. I'm not making bank, but I get to live here for free with the added bonus of being here with a couple of my best friends and my boyfriend. I'm also looking for work as a virtual assistant at the moment, to try to make a bit more money from home.

Whatchoo gonna do with your life? Oh lord, I'm 20 years old and in the middle of earning my degree and I'm still not sure. My standard answer is "I want to work as an editor for a publisher of young adult fiction." I love young adult novels and I believe that they are very important in shaping the lives and minds of children and teenagers, and I would love to work with them. But there's always the part of me that really wants to open up a combination scrapbook/art store and studio, and sell art supplies and teach art classes. I'm not sure if that will ever be possible, given my education and the current economy, but the desire to do it will probably always be there.

1 comments:

Rachel Strom said...

English majors unite! :) You're right: These questions are a lot of fun!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...