7.31.2013

Crop Top DIY



I whipped up a quick crop top from a $2 t-shirt from Michaels to use as a cute, simple bathing suit cover-up recently. Here's what you'll need to make one for yourself:
  • loose-fitting t-shirt
  • scissors
  • colored pencils
  • ruler (optional)
  • crop top that fits you well (optional)
And this is what you do:
  1. Lay out your t-shirt on a flat surface, making sure it's flat and un-twisted.
  2. Decide how much of the bottom you want to cut off. I took the easy route and used a crop top I already had as my guide. You can also just use a ruler and measure it - I cut mine in a curve, starting and ending at 7 inches from the bottom on each side and dipping down to about 4.5 inches in the middle.
  3. Using a colored pencil in a color that contrasts with your shirt, light draw a line to follow with your scissors. (I just traced the bottom edge of my existing crop top.)
  4. Cut along the line, and you're done!
If you want, you can do more to the shirt at this point. Mine is meant to be a cover-up worn at the pool, the water park, or the beach, so I chose not to decorate it any further - that way I won't be too upset if it gets messed up somehow! I did cuff up the sleeves, as you can see in the last photo. But here are some other things you can do to modify your t-shirt once you've cropped it:
  • instead of cuffing them, cut some length off the sleeves
  • cut off the collar and make it a scoop-neck
  • cut the bottom 2 or 3 inches into fringe
  • tie-dye it
  • add a design with a stencil and some fabric paint (click here for an easy tutorial)
  • add studs to the shoulders
I love modifying t-shirts! It's always a lot of fun.

Let me know if you make one of these for yourself! I'd love to see your creation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...