7.03.2013

What I Read: June

I love to read about what other people are reading. Megan of The Nerd Nest posts about the books she's read every month and I'm always impressed. I don't have a lot of time to read for pleasure (how ironic, right? I'm an English major and I don't have time to read!) but I do have a bit more time during the summer, so I thought I would share a couple of the books I've read in the past month.



June's reads are a pair of books on similar subjects that share the same author. The first is titled The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth and the second is Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities, and both are by Alexandra Robbins.

Both of these books were non-fiction, but Robbins' writing style makes it very easy to read them like novels. She intersperses chapters of scientific study with stories of the lives of the people she's studying.

The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth takes a look at "un-popular" kids in high school and the things that make them different and, often, successful after high school graduation. Robbins chronicles a year in the lives of teenagers like the "gamer boy", the "new girl", and the "band geek", as well as the "popular girl" who feels a little out of place in her tier-one clique. Both the chapters about these teens and the chapters about the scientific theory behind popularity and related subjects are equally interesting. I finished this book in just a few days because I just couldn't stop reading. If you're interested in geek/nerd culture, if you experienced cliques first-hand in high school, I would recommend picking this book up.

Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities follows the same format as The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth, but instead follows a couple of college-age women from different sororities. I'm intrigued by secret societies of all kinds and this book was interesting from beginning to end. Robbins talks about many things that surround and invade the Greek world, such as hazing, parties, alcohol, race discrimination, cliques, and even sexual assault. She writes about the "good" parts of going Greek, too, of course: the community, the sense of family, the connections and advantages one gains in life past college. Her chosen subjects in this book are diverse and give what seems to be a well-rounded picture of what Greek life is like (though, of course, I can't tell you for sure, because I'm not Greek myself). Robbins says several times that she did her best to write the book without a bias going into it, although by the time you reach the acknowledgments page, you know how she feels. However, Pledged is still a great read and anyone who is interested in the idea of Greek life should check it out.

That's it for this month. I have a few things on my "to-be-read" list that I'm hoping to get to soon, although this summer is already a super busy one for me! I would like to try out the idea that Megan puts forth in her post 31 of My Favorite Books, which is to make a list of the books that you love and read them carefully, one-by-one, and make notes on why you like them. I think that this would be not only fun, but also really informative to me about who I am, what I like and why I like it. Not to mention it might help me in developing my storytelling skills, something I'm currently working on.

2 comments:

feedthebirdies said...

I want to read the Geeks book...I'm a teacher, and I think that might be a neat perspective for me to study. I'm reading Ghostbread right now. It is about a woman's journey from living in poverty as a child to being a professor today. She writes so very amazing things. It's great!

Emily Dismukes said...

I would definitely recommend The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth to teachers. I have a friend who read it along with me who is studying to teach and he thought it had a lot of good information that would help him be a better teacher.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...