8.07.2013

Find Your Voice Update #6



If you're wondering why this week's update is on Wednesday instead of Monday, it's because the project I'm about to share with you was featured in the Lesson 7 PDF on Monday, and I didn't want to spoil the surprise!

Today, I'm focusing on the layout I completed for Lesson 7. I know I'm skipping around a little, because I talked about Lesson 4 last week, but I promise I'll post about Lesson 5 and Lesson 6 at some point - I actually have an awesome project in mind for Lesson 6, but I have to wait until I can buy some supplies, first!

Here's the layout:



The crafting prompt for Lesson 7 was to either do further work on Lesson 6's project or start a-new and focus on the "depth of the story". I chose to start a new project since the one I am planning for Lesson 6 is currently in a holding pattern. I selected a photo of my roommate and I dressed up as Effie Trinket (her) and Katniss Everdeen (me), because I knew that it told both a surface-level story (about the event we were dressed up for) and a deeper story (about our relationship as roommates).

First, I focused on designing a layout that would allow me to tell both stories. I accomplished this with the three stamped Instax frames that I lined up alongside the photo. In the top frame, I journaled an explanation of the photo itself. The center frame holds the title, and the bottom frame has more journaling in the form of a short note to my roommate.



Once I had the design down, I followed Kristin's suggestion to use colors, themes and supplies that would reinforce the stories the layout was telling. First, obviously, I had to use some pink paper. Not only did it match Effie's clothing in the photo, but the color pink represents a few big parts of my relationship with my roommate: the way we can both be really "girly" together, and my roommate's bright and colorful personality. And then I grabbed my favorite arrow stamps and created a border to frame the page and call back to the characters we're dressed as - arrows will forever remind me of Katniss and The Hunger Games series.

All in all, it's a very simple layout, and I like it a lot. If there's one thing I've been able to do in the last few months, with the help of both Find Your Voice and my work with Paper Lovers Studio, it's embrace my "style" of scrapping, which I've come to find is usually pretty clean and simple, with just a couple patterned papers and a lot of stamping.

We've got one more Find Your Voice lesson to go, and a wrap up, but it's still not too late to join us! I know I say this every week, but I really encourage you to hop over to the Find Your Voice website and take a look around. I'm so grateful that Kristin offered up this amazing workshop this summer.

This summer, I'm participating in and contributing to a free, 8-week storytelling workshop called Find Your Voice being run by Kristin Tweedale of rukristin papercrafts. On Mondays and/or Wednesdays, I'll be sharing some of my FYV project here, as well as sneak peeks at and links to my contributions to the workshop. You can see all of my FYV posts here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...