8.02.2013

Fireworks Photos - July 4, 2013

Yes, yes, I know - July 4th was nearly a month ago. But, hey, better late than never, right?

Today I want to share some photos I took on July 4th. I've always wanted to take photos of fireworks, but this is the first year I've had the proper camera equipment! So I read Melissa Stinson's fireworks photography tips, clicked the dial on my camera over to the big M, set up a tripod next to the highway and tried my hand at it.



I'm pretty happy with the results, especially given that this was my first time with no previous practice. There are only two things I might do differently next year: one is experiment with the focus so that I can get some fireworks with a bit of bokeh, like Katie did, and the other is perhaps purchase a shutter remote. I did fine this year without one, but I think it would be really useful in the long run.

I'm planning to get the 9 photos in this post (which are just my favorites out of the many photos I took) printed at a smaller size (I'm thinking 3x4) so that I can scrapbook them all together. I might even do my first double-page spread! I can't wait to get the story of that night recorded in my album.

I had a lot of fun taking the photos, but the July 4th, 2013 was so much more than that, too. Ryan and I, and a few of my friends, were able to watch the fireworks (which are held on our college campus) from the grassy area next to one of the buildings near the residence hall I live in. We had great seats, and it's a good thing we were so close to home, because I walked all the way there without my tripod and had to go back for it! And after the fireworks, we went home and picked up another friend who joined us in a dark parking lot for some light-painting experiments! (I'll be sharing some of those photos, and some tips for that technique, later in the month.) It was an awesome night and I'm really glad it happened.

2 comments:

Katie Smith said...

These look awesome, Emily! I'm so glad you shared them. Did you crop these, or were you really close to them? Just asking because I know you don't have a zoom lens, but these rock. :)

Emily Dismukes said...

Thanks! :D I didn't edit these at all, this is exactly how they came out of the camera. We were just *really* close! They were coming from somewhere near the new football stadium and we were just on the other side of the highway.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...