8.05.2013

My experience with the Scotch ATG



Last May, Michaels stopped carrying my favorite adhesive runner. I couldn't find a way to get refills for it as cheaply as I had been able to get them there, so I decided it was time to take the plunge I had been contemplating for awhile and buy the Scotch ATG.

I purchased mine on Amazon (Scotch ATG on Amazon) because it was by far the best deal - I paid about $18 total for the gun and two rolls of the tape, shipping included (yay Amazon Prime!).

My initial thoughts: It's big, but not bigger than I expected. It feels heavy in my hand, but pretty well balanced, and I don't think it'll be hard to get used to. Also, it looks pretty cool. I love the pink! My friends think I should become a scrapbook themed vigilante.

Loading the adhesive: I skipped the written instructions completely and went straight to YouTube for video instructions. I watched this video and I got it all loaded up on the first try.

First day of use: Once I had the ATG loaded, I couldn't wait to try it out. I gathered supplies for a layout and got going. It was a little awkward at first, but eventually I figured out that I needed to release the trigger before I pulled the ATG away from the paper. By the end of the layout, I was still ending up with little clumps of extra adhesive on the paper when I pulled the tip away, but not every time. And my wrist was a little sore, but that didn't last.

First week of use: After I finished that first layout, I went over to Two Peas and started a thread asking for tips. The peas were pretty helpful! I started work on a card using the scraps from the layout and by the end of it, I was doing much better--no more clumps! You have to add a sort of little flick of your wrist to pull the tip of the ATG away from the paper to avoid the little string of adhesive that creates the clumps. It's a little awkward at first, but I've been assured that it becomes second nature eventually. And when I finished with the card, my wrist wasn't sore at all, and the ATG no longer felt somewhat unwieldy or particularly heavy in my hand.

After a couple of months: I've totally gotten used to the weight and the methods of using it and it works wonderfully. It's easy to use once you get used to the way it works, and the adhesive is strong when you stick things down, but it's easy to rub it off if you put some down in the wrong place. It is pretty big, but I have tiny (seriously, really small) hands and I don't have any trouble holding or moving it. And you get so much adhesive on a roll - 36 yards - so I don't feel like I'm going to run out any time soon. I'm not a particularly prolific scrapper, but I've done a lot of projects since May and I'm nowhere near the end of the roll I put in when I first got my ATG that month.

Basically: I love my ATG! I'd highly recommend this if you're looking for a new adhesive runner.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...