9.04.2013

August Reads

I'm an English major, so I do a lot of reading (obviously). And lately, I've been really wanting to do more "lifestyle" kinds of posts here, so you can get more of a sense of what I do outside of scrapbooking! So today, I'm sharing a bit about the books I read last month. I'm hoping to share my reads each month from now on, even if all I get through is my required reading for my classes.



In August, I read 7 of the 10 books in the Princess Diaries series, by Meg Cabot. I originally read this series as the later books were still being published (back when the Disney adaptation - which is so drastically different from the books that Cabot actually references it several times in jest - first came out). I own all of them, but I've long lost books 1, 2, and 9. However, this is not the first time I've read (or even re-read) this series, so I was able to read just 3-8 and 10 and keep up with the narrative threads perfectly.

The Princess Diaries series is one of my favorites series, hands-down. They are young adult novels, but they age awesomely. Mia, the main character, is a freshman in high school in the first book, and the series follows her all the way through to graduation. When I first read the series, I was her age or slightly younger. Re-reading them as a junior in college is a completely different - though still wonderful and entertaining - experience.

I really need to find or purchase new copies of the installments that I have lost throughout the years so that I can re-read the series as a whole one day soon. I really can't get enough of these books; they just never get old for me. I also need to re-watch the two Disney movie versions again sometime. They aren't good adaptations of the books whatsoever (the source material was not exactly appropriate enough for a Disney audience - these are definitely books for young teenagers rather than little kids), but they're still awesome to me, especially because the second one stars a pre-Star Trek Chris Pine with weirdly adorable floppy hair, and I could always use more Chris Pine in my life. And Anne Hathaway, too, of course!

I also want to read the tenth book in the series, Forever Princess, again on its own and may extra attention to the things that I love about it, as part of the storytelling project I wrote about here. I'll let you know if I ever have time to actually do that (things have been extremely busy around here lately)!

What have you read lately? I always welcome suggestions of what to check out next!

1 comments:

Jeanna Cata said...

I'm kind of obsessed with books, but have never read this particular series so I think I'll add it to my list for this year. In the past two months I have read: Julie & Julia; Upside Down, Inside Out; Claire Fontaine: Crime Fighter; The Great Husband Hunt; and just started The Legend of Eli Monpress. Perhaps you'll find enjoyment in one of these titles. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...