10.14.2013

A to Z Book Survey



I found this book survey on My Life as a Teacup (which is an awesome blog, by the way) and I knew immediately that I had to do it! I don't write a lot about books and reading here on my blog, which is something I'd like to change, given that I'm getting a degree in English and it's a huge part of my life. So here you go:

Author you’ve read the most books from. Meg Cabot – the Princess Diaries series includes 10 books, plus I’ve read several of her stand-alone novels and some from other series.

Best sequel ever. I don’t read too many book series, but my favorite “sequel” from the Harry Potter series is the fifth one, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and my favorite from the Princess Diaries series is the tenth one, Forever Princess.

Currently reading. Frankenstein (Mary Shelley) for a lit class, and both The Soul of a Chef (Michael Ruhlman) and No Plot? No Problem! (Chris Baty) off and on.

Drink of choice while reading. Instant cappuccino (vanilla) or iced passion tea.

E-reader or physical book? Both! I just want to read. Sometimes I prefer one over the other in certain situations, but I love both my physical books and my Kindle. And I’m really happy that this question called it a “physical book” and not a “real book”. #allmybooksarereal

Fictional character you probably would have actually dated in high school. My high school self would have loved to go on dates with an age-appropriate version of either Remus Lupin or Sirius Black.

Glad you gave this book a chance. Dangerous Liaisons. I read that in my very first college English class and it’s one of the only books I’ve read for a class that I legitimately enjoyed and would be willing to read again

Hidden gem book. Smoke & Mirrors is one of Neil Gaiman’s short story collections that I think is often overlooked by even huge Gaiman fans; however, it’s one of my favorites of his and I think everyone, especially fans of his novels, should read it.

Important moment in your reading life. I’ve always been a huge reader, thanks to my mom, but 3rd grade was especially important to my reading life because of my teacher, who was obsessed with Harry Potter and quickly imparted that obsession on basically everyone in our homeroom class.

Just finished. I haven’t properly finished a book in awhile… I do a lot of reading for classes, but that is mostly excerpts or selections from larger works, and it leaves little time for pleasure reading, unfortunately.

Kinds of books you won’t read. I tend towards more contemporary fiction. I have read plenty of books from all eras of literature, but I don’t usually pick up “classics” to read for pleasure. #badenglishmajor

Longest book you’ve ever read. This is just a guess, but probably Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Major book hangover because of… The end of the Princess Diaries series. Every time I read the tenth and final installment, I find myself wishing there were more, especially now that I’m in college myself (the series ended with Mia’s graduation from high school).

Number of bookcases you own. I have one in my room at school, but it doesn't have books on it - it holds my craft supplies, mostly, because I have a limited number of books here with me. I also have one huge bookcase at home that is full of most of the books I own.

One book you have read multiple times. I love to re-read books! Harry Potter, Princess Diaries, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Lovely Bones, Good Omens, The Devil Wears Prada…and that’s just off the top of my head. I’ve read many, many books more than once or twice.

Preferred place to read. I’ll read wherever I can get comfortable. I often change locations and positions at least twice in a reading session.

Quote from a book you’ve read that inspires you. I honestly can’t think of one off the top of my head. I’m not a huge quote-collector.

Reading regret. I don’t think I really have any.

Series you started and need to finish. A Song of Fire and Ice. I have started the first one via Kindle sample, but I have yet to purchase it/borrow it from a friend. I really need to, especially because I am missing the TV show something fierce!

Three of your all-time favourite books. I have so many, I refuse to list them like this– one day soon I will do some book superlatives, though.

Unapologetic fangirl for… Young adult novels of all kinds.

Very excited for this release more than all the others. It’s already been released, but I’m counting it here because I have yet to get my hands on it and it was the last book I was really excited for the release of: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. I hope someone gets it for me for my birthday!

Worst bookish habit. My worst bookish habit is taking the dust covers off my nice hardbacks and then losing them. I hate dust covers.

X marks the spot: the 27th book on my shelf. I don’t have 27 books with me here at my university, so I can’t answer this one!

Your latest book purchase. The last books I purchased were all text books, many of which I wish I had not had to buy.

Zzz-snatcher book (latest book that kept you up way late). As a college student, my hours of sleep are very precious – I have not stayed up late reading in a long time. The last books that kept me up (albeit during the day) were all three of the books in the Hunger Games trilogy, which I read in a 4-day marathon of reading.

By the way, if you've been wondering where I've been - I've been busy! This is probably my most hectic semester so far, between classes, jobs, and other obligations. I am trying very hard to continue blogging and I promise that I am not gone for good; things here will just be a little more sporadic than they have been in the past, at least for awhile. But I do have a couple of things I've been working on that I plan to share in the coming weeks! And in the meantime, follow me on Twitter and Instagram to keep up.

2 comments:

Megan Anderson said...

Loved you answers! I have a special place for dust jackets so I don't lose them, but I absolutely can't read the book while it's on there!

Kristin said...

I hate dust jackets too ><; They always shift out of place when you're reading! And Smoke & Mirrors? One of my FAVORITES! Neil Gaiman is one of the few authors whose short stories I like.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...